Teacher Loan Cards now have a nine-week loan period and may be used to borrow DVDs, kits and other collection materials.
Our teacher services are designed to make it easy to share library materials with your students and help them succeed.
Notify a branch near your students about an upcoming assignment by submitting an Assignment Alert form. When received, librarians will gather age-appropriate resources from our collection for your students to use in the library and, if eligible for checkout, at home.
With a valid Teacher Loan Card, you can request a collection of items to support your classwork. Materials are gathered and packaged within a two-week time period for pick up at the designated branch. For your convenience, materials may be returned to any branch location. It is now easier than ever to get the materials you need to help you and your students achieve success
Select Submit a Collection Request below and complete the form or call in your request to the branch of your choice. Our expert librarians take care of the rest.
- Collection materials follow the rules of Teacher Loan Cards
- Materials, including seasonal or holiday items and multiple copies, are subject to availability.
- Staff require 14 days to gather your materials.
- Your collection can be picked up on or after your pickup date. Collections will be held for seven days past the pickup date
- The limit is 100 items total on the card.
Whether your class comes to us or a librarian visits your class, there's no better way to introduce your students to what the library has to offer.
To schedule a class visit, contact the school liaison at a branch near your school.
While One Cards give Baltimore County Public School (BCPS) students instant access to our materials, we strongly support teachers in their efforts to get permanent cards for students who don’t already have one.
To ensure that library cards are ready on the day of a visit, follow these easy steps:
- Visit or phone (press 4 for the Service Desk) the branch that you are visiting. Tell us how many students in your class need Library Card Registration forms. Allow three business days, excluding weekends and holidays, to process your request for application forms
- Give an application form to each student to take home for completion. Note: Each student’s full name, address and a parent or legal guardian's information must be included on the application. A parent or legal guardian’s signature is required on the application form for students 17 years of age and under
- At least two weeks before the visit, please return the completed application forms to the branch you are visiting
- Each student is allowed to borrow two print items only on the day of the visit
- The library cards are given to the teacher during the visit and they are responsible for giving the cards to the parent or legal guardian. The teacher must inform the parent or guardian that a signature is required and that the parent or guardian must present valid ID at any of our branches before the card may be used again
Get a Teacher Loan Card to expand your borrowing privileges and meet your class’s needs.
- Teachers, media specialists and librarians in Baltimore County public and private schools serving students through 12th grade.
- Day care center employees and licensed child care providers located in Baltimore County.
- Homeschool teachers working with Baltimore County Public Schools or an umbrella group working with the Maryland State Department of Education. The homeschool must be a Baltimore County residence.
- Employees and volunteers of Baltimore County agencies and nonprofit groups that organize book discussion groups or share library materials in groups for educational purposes.
Baltimore County residents who provide these services for schools and agencies outside Baltimore County are not eligible for a Teacher Loan Card.
- You must have a valid personal Baltimore County Public Library card before a Teacher Loan Card may be issued.
- Materials are to be used for the benefit of the group or the student.
- Video games, Chromebooks, downloadable e-books and audiobooks, technology for loan (such as Chromebooks and portable DVD players) and special collections cannot be checked out on a Teacher Loan card.
- Holds that are not picked up are charged a $1 fee.
- Loan period is for nine (9) weeks with no renewals. This applies to interlibrary loan materials as well. However, OCLC WorldCat materials may need to be returned early at the request of the loaning library.
- No extended loan fees are charged for overdue or lost items, except DVDs, Playaway Launchpads and Playaway Views ($1 per day). However, replacement costs and processing fees for damaged, lost or missing items do apply. Teacher Loan cardholders are responsible for missing, lost or damaged materials.
- Cards expire annually on August 31 and must be renewed annually beginning August 1 for the new school year. All account issues from the previous school year must be taken care of before a card can be renewed for the new school year.
- All other rules, fees and procedures apply the same as with your personal library card.
- Questions should be directed to the branch where the card was issued.
- Scan or take a photo of one of the following documents to verify your teaching status:
- State of Maryland Child Care Certificate
- Letter on school or day care center letterhead, dated for the current school year and includes teacher's name and eligibility for a card. The letter must be signed by the principal, director or school librarian.
- For Baltimore County agencies or nonprofits, a letter on agency or nonprofit letterhead with employee's or volunteer's name verifying status as a book discussion leader or involvement in sharing library materials for discussion or education.
- Annual letter from BCPS’s Home Schooling Office certifying your child is being homeschooled or a current letter (dated within the last year) from an umbrella group indicating that they are certified with the Maryland State Department of Education. We cannot accept an identification card issued from a homeschool umbrella group providing homeschooling service as verification.
- BCPS One Card.
- Submit your documentation by completing the Teacher Registration form.
- You will receive confirmation of your request.
- For renewals: Library staff will send an email within three business days to confirm the renewal through August 31, 2021.
- For new registrations: Library staff will email your library card number and temporary PIN so that you may begin using your account. The physical card will arrive in the mail within 10 business days.
Through our partnership with BCPS, every BCPS student has instant access to our materials using their BCPS Student Accounts. Learn more.
Resources to Share
Make sure your students and their parents or caregivers know about these library services:
Contact Youth Services
For additional assistance with your class or curriculum needs, contact our Youth and Family Engagement department.