Essex Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library

Services   |   History

MTA Bus Transportation Information

 

Contact Information

 

Hours

Wheelchair accessible symbol.1110 Eastern Boulevard
Essex, Maryland 21221-3497

 

 

  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

 

 

See More Events...  

Services

The interior of the renovated Essex Branch   Renovated interior of the Essex Branch   Renovated interior of the Essex Branch (opens in new window.)   Renovated interior of the Essex Branch (opens in new window.)

In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:

History

 

About This Branch

 

The Essex Branch opened in 1969 and has over 14,000 square feet. It is decorated with a Chesapeake Bay theme featuring an aquarium and lighthouse. The Essex Branch underwent a significant renovation in the fall of 2014.

 

 

About This Community

 

The eastern part of Baltimore County, which includes Essex and Middle River, was the least-urbanized area closest to Baltimore City at the turn of the century. Yet this area eventually displayed the most sustained growth rate in the county. By 1931, the population was nearly 23,000.

 

Essex was established in 1909 by the Taylor Land Company for Baltimore residents who wanted to live outside the city limits in a more rural atmosphere. Land was cheap and sales were enhanced by a promotional pamphlet.

 

Henry Guttenberger built the first general store in Essex in 1910 on the corner of Eastern and Mace Avenues. Between 1911 and 1912, the Taylor Land Company donated the lots for Essex Methodist and St. John's Lutheran churches. It also donated the land where the volunteer fire department built their station on Eastern Avenue.

 

 

Additional Information

 

BCPL's collection contains materials on Essex.

 

 


Revised: October 25, 2016